Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Day 25, Post Op #2, Gettin' the Boot!

I've been in the splint/cast for 25 days and joyfully headed to the doc's office today to get my second cast.

Once there, the ortho tech removed my cast with this crazy saw that cuts fiberglass but not your skin. I anxiously awaited to see what was underneath. The former raised stitched lines had flattened out and the skin had hardened under with scar tissue. My foot/achilles wasn't as stiff as I had expected since I had been moving it quite a bit in my cast.

Dr. Khan-Farooqi took a look and basically said it was in good shape and healing nicely. In the next few weeks, the focus was on allowing the collagen fibers to align correctly and form/bind and this would be achieved by adjusting the tension on the foot - a bit less flexed.

To my surprise and delight, Dr. KF gave me a few options. Either be in another cast for 2 weeks, go into a boot, or get into a regular shoe with some heel lifts. The latter being the most aggressive and the first being the most conservative.

He actually recommended the boot for me, as long as I was extremely careful when I was out of the boot (e.g. taking a shower or changing clothes).

Freedom at last!

Being able to walk now opens up doors - literally. My first stop was going to Starbucks for a grande black iced tea with half sugar and being able to walk out of the store with it in my hand. No more crutches.

So the plan now ... 4 more weeks in the boot (gladly) and then 4 in a shoe with lifts and then P.T.

No comments: