Wednesday, August 16, 2006

ACL Rehab #1

Today was my first day of physical therapy for the new knee.

Very excited to get this going!

Sara, my physical therapist, began the session by loosening up the fluid around the knee cap and then stretching/pushing my knee towards my hamstring. This is to break up all the scar tissue around the knee joint.

Each session my progress will be measured in degrees (i.e. how much flexion can I get each time).

I started at 80 degrees and the goal was to get to 100 degrees. This part was quite painful, the joint was very tight. I ended up getting to 98 degrees (Nick Lachey), just shy of 100.

Sara made me get on the bike to warm up the joint and she challenged me to see how far I could rotate around. Couldn't get the full 360 degrees; probably closer to 270 degrees.

After the bike, I got a refresher on how to walk properly. Because of the brace, you have to relearn the correct way, really emphasizing the heel-to-toe motion.

The day was wrapped up with 15 minutes of shock treatment on my quad where they place these electrode pads on your quad which send pulsating electricity. This stimulates the regeneration of the muscles. I kind of liked the stim (the medical term), I think I'm part masochist.

Best part of this visit was that she opened up my brace to have full range. No more "Ay, ay Captain!" peg leg.

No comments: