Monday, August 28, 2006

ACL Rehab, Week 3, #5

Each week, the knee has been making nice increases in flexion, about 10-12 degrees. Now, we are getting into the smaller and harder gains. I started the day at 125 degrees and ended it at 129 degrees.

I must say that physical therapy hasn't been a walk through the park. In order for me to get increased flexion, Sara my PT has to physically 'stretch' the knee and force the knee to bend. As she's doing it, she's basically tearing scar tissue. Yah, it kinda' hurts and isn't much fun as your eyes well up a bit.

At this point, I am able to walk normally (regular gait, no noticeable limp) but the leg does swell up if I am on it for too long. The left quad is noticeably smaller than the right but have been doing extra leg lifts to strengthen it.

I can see why these ACL injuries take a good 6-9 months before you are back to playing sports. Lots of rebuilding and relearning to do.

No comments: