Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Broken Clavicle, Day 2: Pros & Cons

So it's Day 2 of my broken collarbone, a distal third fracture to be exact. I've been trying to stay positive on how this injury will ultimately impact my life over the course of the next few months. So far, not good... let's see, I miss out on my summer flag football league, running the Furry 5K with my dog Lizzie, and participating in other summer sports like volleyball and golf. Not to mention the pain I wake up to each morning getting out of bed and the inefficiencies (2x time) to shower, get dressed, and get out the door to work each morning. This is actually my first major injury since a really bad ankle sprain my senior year in high school.

I will say that wearing a sling on a day-to-day basis does have its benefits. People generally feel sorry for you (or at least they act like it) and IT'S a great conversation starter. "So what happened?" "How did you hurt yourself?" "Are you ok?" These are the kinds of questions I'm getting walking down the hall at work, in the supermarket at the checkout line, at the gas station, and at Starbucks. All from random strangers and interestingly enough, I'd say 95% from the opposite sex. If I were not happily married, I'm thinking that this would be a very effective way to meet women. Couple this strategy with walking a dog at Green Lake, and you've got a surefire way to meet a honey. I may have to suggest this tactic to my single friends. Guys, if you want to meet the ladies, get hurt or fake an injury and make sure people have a visual. It works!!!

Anyhow, I seemed to have digressed a bit from my initial cost-benefits analysis of this injury. I sure hope somebody makes good use of the very clear takeaway from this entry.

Be back in a few, H

No comments: