Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Easy Tiger: NFL'er I Am Not

In my first visit with the orthopedic surgeon yesterday, I was relieved to hear that there would be no surgery in the imminent future. Dr. Seidner, who's also the orthopedist for the Seattle Sonics and Storm, did surprise me by saying that a 6-9 months recovery is pretty typical. Not real happy about that statement. Mentally, I had notions of being back in the saddle in 6 weeks time not 6 months. I got this notion by benchmarking NFL players who have also sustained fractured clavicles. Hey, if the typical NFL'er can make it back in 6-9 weeks, why can't I?!?

I made this statement to a few co-workers and they basically laughed at me. Fine, I may not be 22 anymore, be in Ironman shape, or have access to the best medical help available but damn it, I think I've done more than a decent job of "living a healthy and active lifestyle." As such, I hit the grocery store early morning and picked up some calcium, boron, and vitamin D supplements to help spur the path towards accelerated bone growth. Theoretically, if I eat healthy, I'm getting the proper nutrients to do this but I figure it doesn't hurt to have some extra oomph to get those cells going. If nothing, it will at least provide me with a placebo and give me that psychological edge which may in turn create a positive physiological effect. You never know.

No comments: